Effective July 1, 2015, a physician’s license shall be deemed relinquished if he/she fails to apply for renewal or reinstatement of the license within five years of its expiration.
- The relinquishment is an automatic, non-disciplinary surrender of the license
- The relinquishment requires no action by the physician
- Once relinquished that license may not be renewed, reinstated, or otherwise restored
- Once relinquished the physician no longer holds the privilege of licensure in Iowa
- Physicians may apply for a new permanent Iowa license and would be issued a new license number
Instructions on how to apply for a new license can be found on the Applying for a License page.