Maintenance of Licensure
The Iowa Board of Medicine is participating in a national initiative aimed at strengthening patient care by requiring licensed physicians to provide, as a condition of license renewal, evidence that they are actively participating in a program of continuous professional development that is relevant to their areas of practice, measured against objective data sources and aimed at improving performance over time. The Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB), a non-profit organization that represents the nation’s 70 state medical boards, is working with its member boards to develop this initiative, known as maintenance of licensure (MOL). The Iowa Board of Medicine is one of several state boards participating in pilot projects as a prelude to developing an MOL for possible adoption and implementation. During this process, the Iowa Board will routinely provide information about MOL at board meetings, through press releases and on this website page.
- Press release - Results of Board survey on maintenance of licensure - October 16, 2014
- Frequently asked questions about maintenance of licensure (MOL)
- Special report from Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB)
- Journal of Medical Regulation article on FSMB’s long-term MOL initiative
- June 11, 2012, Iowa Board of Medicine press release about MOL pilot projects