Executive Director’s Report – March 2022
March 24-25 Board Meeting Schedule: Please note that we have revised the schedule for the March 24-25 Board Meeting. The meeting on Thursday will begin with a hearing for a Motion in a disciplinary matter on March 24 from 8:00 – 9:00 a.m. The Executive and Screening Committee meetings will begin at 9:00 a.m. Then we will review investigative cases. The Monitoring and Licensure Committee meetings will beginat 2:00 p.m. on Thursday. The meeting will start at 7:30 a.m. on Friday with investigative cases and the public session will start at 9:00 a.m. as usual. This will all be reflected in the meeting schedule we send for this meeting.
Board Member Appointments
Current Board Members: I am very sad to say that the Governor did not reappoint Drs. Kolegraff and Wagle or Diane Cortese to the Board. Their terms will end on April 30, 2022. All three have been exceptional Board members and will be greatly missed. Please join me in thanking all of them for their hard work and dedication to the Board and the people of Iowa. Dr. Vista Wayne has been reappointed to the Board for another 3-year term beginning on May 1, 2022.
New Board Members: The following individuals have been appointed to the Board.
- Jason Meyers, M.D. has been appointed to the Board immediately. Dr. Meyers practices electrophysiology at MercyOne Iowa Heart Center in West Des Moines.
- Vickie Pyevich, M.D. has been appointed to the Board effective May 1, 2022. Dr. Pyevich practices cardiology at the Genesis Medical Center Heart Institute in Davenport, Iowa.
- Eugene Cherny, M.D. has been appointed to the Board effective May 1, 2022. Dr. Pyevich practices plastic surgery at the Heartland Plastic Surgery Center in Urbandale, Iowa.
- Rose Kleyweg Mitchell has been appointed to the Board effective May 1, 2022. Ms. Kleyweg Mitchell formerly served as the Senior Vice President of Education and Government Affairs at Hy-Vee in West Des Moines, Iowa.
- Board Investigator: We are working on the paperwork to fill this position and I will keep you updated.
- Compliance Administrative Assistant: We are working to fill this vacant position and I will keep you updated.
- Licensure Specialist - I: We are working to fill this position and I will keep you updated.
- Licensure Specialist - II: We are working to fill this position and I will keep you updated.
- Licensure Specialist - III: We are pursuing a new position for an additional Licensure Specialist due to the increased volume of license applications. I will keep you updated.
- Temporary Employees: We have requested up to 3 temporary employees to help out in licensure during the busy season this spring and up to 3 temporary employees to help out with the transition to the AMANDA 7 database upgrade this spring.
New Bills we are monitoring:
- SF 487 Review of State Boards: This bill requires each state board to justify its existence to a legislative committee every five years and sets the specific criteria.
- HF2203 Liability and Disciplinary Actions: This bill would bar civil liability and licensee disciplinary action for causing or contributing, directly or indirectly, to the death or injury of an individual while providing or arranging health care in support of the state’s response to COVID-19. This includes the off-label use of drugs to treat a patient with a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19. This does not apply to reckless or willful misconduct. This would not prevent the Board from investigating or disciplining a licensee for a possible violations to the prevailing standard of care.
Previous Bills we are monitoring:
- HF 2279 & SSB 3039 Tort Reform: This bill enacts a $1 million hard cap on non-economic damages.
- HF 2388 Ambulatory Surgical Centers: This bill requires ambulatory surgical centers to be licensed and provides for inspections by the Department of Inspections and Appeals.
- HF 2389 Dispensing Abortion Drugs: This bill prohibits dispensing mifepristone for a medical abortion except in a health care setting and requires written informed consent for patients.
- HF 2547 Licensed Midwives: This bill requires a person practicing midwifery in Iowa to obtain a license to practice beginning July1, 2023. This bill creates a separate Board within the Iowa Department of Public Health.
- Hf 2203 / Sf 2117 Off Label Drug Treatments: Allows patients on mechanical ventilators to receive medicines for off-label purposes under the provisions for the use of experimental drugs to treat terminally ill patients.
- Hf 2298 Covid Immunizations: A bill for an act relating to immunization against COVID-19 requirements for enrollment in any licensed childcare center, elementary or secondary school, or postsecondary school in Iowa.
- HF 2200 Direct Health Care Agreements: A bill for an act relating to direct health care agreements, and including effective date and applicability provisions.(Formerly HF 625, HF 289.)