Chronic Pain and End-of-Life Training
Recently, the Iowa legislature passed a new law regarding the continuing medical education (CME) required for chronic pain management in Iowa. The new law eliminated the Board's current rules and requires physicians to complete CME that focuses on the CDC guideline for proper opioid prescribing. The Board is working on specific rules which will establish the credit hours required for renewal of your Iowa medical license. The new rules may take some time to enact and the Board will provide physicians sufficient time to complete the required CME. In the meantime, if you plan on taking CME for chronic pain management, you may want to find a course that focuses on the CDC guideline for appropriate opioid prescribing.
Sample Pain Management Agreement
View or download the sample pain management agreement.
Physicians with active Iowa medical licenses are required to complete two hours of Category 1 credits for end-of-life care every five years. The training must be related to end-of-life, not palliative care.
These requirements, which became effective August 17, 2011, are for physicians who provide primary care to patients and these specialties: emergency physicians, family physicians, general practice physicians, internists, neurologists, pain medicine specialists, and psychiatrists.
Physicians who have provided or expect to provide end-of-life care, must complete the training, regardless of specialty designation. The mandatory training requirements apply to physicians with active medical licenses who report they are retired or are not in clinical practice.
End of Life Care Training Opportunities
The following list of CME activity may be applicable to the requirement. Physicians are encouraged to ascertain the accreditation of these educational activities and their maximum credit values. The activities listed below are not the only sources for CME activity on these topics. Physicians are also encouraged to check with their medical associations to access additional applicable CMEs on end-of-life care. Please contact the board at 515-281-6641 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have CME activity to recommend for this list.
- Other Sources for Possible Training: Hospice and Palliative Care Association of Iowa, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, local hospice associations.
- The Virtual Lecture Hall (owned/operated by the AZ Board of Regents, on behalf of the Univ of AZ) is offering several online courses on end-of-life care for AMA/PRA Category 1 credit or AAFP prescribed credit. Click here for details
- Massachusetts Medical Society is offering a three module series on end-of-life care. Each module is 1 AMA/PRA Category 1 credit. Click here for details.
- NetCE is offering Assessment and Management of Pain at the End of Life. Obtain up to 2 AMA PRA Category 1 credits. Click here for details.
- Board Vitals is offering End-of-Life Care. Obtain 2 AMA PRA Category 1 credits. Click here for details.
Chronic Pain Management Training Opportunities
The following courses have not yet been determined to meet the new requirement for chronic pain management, but are still valuable resources on the topic of chronic pain management and many can be applied toward the CME renewal requirement of 40 hours of Category 1 training each renewal period.
- SCOPE of Pain: Safe and Competent Opioid Prescribing Education accredited by Boston University for up to 2 AMA Category 1 CME credits. Click here for details.
- Boston University is offering up to 4 AMA PRA Category 1 CME credits. Click here for details
- The Virtual Lecture Hall (owned/operated by the AZ Board of Regents, on behalf of the Univ of AZ) is offering several online courses on chronic pain management for AMA/PRA Category 1 credit. Click here for details
- Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) is offering a free online activity "Extended-Release and Long-Acting Opioids: Assessing Risks, Safe Prescribing." The activity qualifies for AMA PRA Category 1 credit. Click here for details.
- Haymarket Medical Education is offering SCOPE of Pain: Safe and Competent Opioid Prescribing Education. Obtain up to 3.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits. Click here for details.
- NetCE is offering Chronic Pain Syndromes: Current Concepts and Treatment Strategies. Obtain up to 15 AMA PRA Category 1 credits. Click here for details.
- NetCE is offering Responsible and Effective Opioid Prescribing. Obtain 3 AMA PRA Category 1 credits. Click here for details.
- Interstate Postgraduate Medical Association has chronic pain management education available for facilities on-site and on-demand. Obtain 3 AMA PRA Category 1 credits. Click here for details.
- Mayo Clinic School of Continuous Professional Development has a pain management and palliative care course. Obtain 31.75 AMA PRA Category 1 credits. Click here for details.