Applying for a License
M.D./D.O. Licensure Process
The Iowa Board of Medicine utilizes and requires two online application systems for those that are applying for permanent, administrative, resident, special or temporary license.
**Iowa Board of Medicine does not accept third party applications. Applicants must fill out their own application**
- Application Part 1 - Uniform Application
- Application Part 2 - State Specific Addendum
Applicants can complete the parts of the application in either order, but both have to be completed to move forward with an application.
- Paper applications are not accepted
The same two systems are also used for those applying for reinstatement of a permanent Iowa medical license or an administrative medicine license that has been inactive for over 12 months.
Please note: Primary source of communication by The Iowa Board of Medicine is by email. A personal email which is frequently monitored by the applicant is required.
- If you apply for a license and do not receive communication from board staff within two weeks of completing both steps:
- Search in your email and check your spam folder for emails from @iowa.gov
- Reach out to the board at 515-281-6641if you do not have an email.
Read What to Expect in the Licensure Process https://medicalboard.iowa.gov/what-expect-licensure-process
Application Part 1 - Uniform Application - Required
The "Uniform Application for Physician State Licensure" or "UA" is used for all physician license applications. The UA benefits physicians by reducing redundancy in filling out multiple applications when applying for licensure in multiple states, thus increasing portability. Physicians will be able to apply to multiple states by filling out the UA once, then directing it to multiple states.
This will leave only the state-specific instructions and addendums of the application to be completed. This application is located at the Federation of State Medical Boards’ website.
- To complete the UA go to https://www.fsmb.org/uniform-application/ After you select the Iowa Board of Medicine, download AND read the instructions completely.
- This document provides instruction specific to Iowa. The information is important and subject to change at any time.
- Failure to read the instructions may result in a delay in license issuance.
The Federation of State Medical Boards offers and promotes a service called Federation Credentials Verification Service (FCVS). This service involves a separate application for creating a reusable profile of primary source verified credentials. The FCVS application is NOT a licensure application, and FCVS is NOT required by the Iowa Board of Medicine, though it is accepted.
Application Part 2 - State Specific Addendum – Required
The state specific application addendum is completed through the board’s online services website.
- To complete the Application Addendum go to the Board's Online Services webpage.
- When creating an account write down your email address you log in with, your user id (there is a format example advised for ease of future log in’s i.e. application renewal, account updates, password resets).
The acupuncture application is completed and submitted online through the board’s online services website. Go to the Board's Online Services webpage to start the application process.
Download and review the Acupuncture Application Guide on how to apply for or reinstate an acupuncture license. Print and complete the applicable forms.